The Benjamin Harrison Presidential Site was awarded a Save America's Treasures (SAT) site-improvement grant from the National Park Service in early 2006 in the amount of $197,058. Much work ensued to match this grant dollar-for-dollar with non-federal sources, and oversee $400,000 worth of recovery, repair and renovation of the President's home.
Ratio Architects was our architectural engineer, and Brandt Construction was our general contractor. The campaign itself commenced with pledges from our current and former Board members amounting to 41% of the total goal! The R.B. Annis Educational Foundation contributed $25,000 toward the update and repair of the education classroom. The Lilly Endowment generously provided $40,000. The Arthur Jordan Foundation committed $35,000. And the Nina Mason Pulliam Charitable Trust rounded out the matching requirement with a helpful $30,000 gift. The remaining matching funds poured in from private individuals to whom we remain extremely grateful.
Our gratitude to all who have helped position us to accomplish this restoration and repair work that we have dreamed of for many years. We invite you to visit the museum anytime to experience the "new look" of historical accuracy. The renovations were featured in Angie's List, and the photographs below are a mere sampling of all the site work accomplished with this grant, including wallpaper, carpeting, medallion replacement, plaster work, brick walkway repair, tuck-pointing, etc.
Thank you to the following community members and foundations for ensuring that a very competitive federal grant was quickly matched to accomplish $400,000 worth of renovations at the home of Indiana's only U.S. president.
- R.B. Annis Educational Foundation
- Arthur Jordan Foundation
- Peggy Boehm
- Mr. and Mrs. William A. Browne, Jr.
- Mr. and Mrs. Eugene M. Busche
- Mr. and Mrs. Robert L. Christianson
- Mr. and Mrs. Dan R. DeMars
- Mr. and Mrs. Robert H. Everitt
- Mr. and Mrs. Thomas P. Ewbank
- Johnson Weaver Foundation
- Mr. and Mrs. David Geis
- Mr. and Mrs. Stan C. Hurt
- Mr. Tom C. Huston
- Thomas A. and Verletta S. King
- Lilly Endowment Inc.
- Mr. and Mrs. William K. McGowan, Jr.
- Mr. and Mrs. Boris and Marian* Meditch
- Mr. and Mrs. Curtis Miller
- Mr. and Mrs. Joseph J. Morsman, III
- Mr. and Mrs. Kimball H. Morsman
- Nina Mason Pulliam Charitable Trust
- Hon. and Mrs. Julian L. Ridlen
- Doug and Michelle Rose
- Mr. and Mrs. Jack Sogard
- Mr. and Mrs. Richard A. Steele
- Mr. and Mrs. Henry* and Patricia* Stevens
- Dr. Eugene R. Tempel
- Erin and Kevin Trisler
- UBS Foundation USA